The First 5 Placer Children and Families Commission is a semi-autonomous, self-governing commission appointed by the Board of Supervisors. Each Commissioner is a community volunteer with specialized expertise in enhancing child development.
The First 5 Placer Children and Family Commissioners oversee the investment of Proposition 10 tobacco tax money in services and resources for children prenatal through age 5 in Placer County.? Since its establishment in 1999, First 5 Placer has invested more than $29 million in local services for critical issues including, but not limited to:
- Children's health and safety
- Quality early care and education
- Parent education
- Child abuse prevention
- Developmental screenings
- Obesity prevention
- Family support services
- Maternal depression
Richard Saletta, LCSW, MFT, Chair, Child Behavior Health
Phillip Williams, Vice-Chair, County Children's Services
Jeff Brown, MPH, MSW, Placer County Health & Human Services
Mai-Ling Schummers, Recipient of Services, Early Childhood Educator
Jim Holmes, Placer County Board of Supervisors, District #3
Alison Schwedner, Lake Tahoe Area Representative
Jake Hanson, MPH, Community Based Organization
If you are interested in serving on the First 5 Placer Commission, applications are currently being accepted. The position is for a 3-year term and requires a commitment of at least 5 hours a month. The Commission considers the following qualifications for new candidates:
- Has significant early childhood development knowledge and experience.
- Has experience working with at-risk families, especially through criminal justice or family law system.
- Has experience living and/or working in South County.
- Understands the cultural complexities of our county, and is not wedded to any one approach to providing services or changing systems.
- Has the commitment, energy and time for the work ahead and the willingness to put his/her skills to work for the Commission.
- Match the Commissioner composition categories.*
*Reference the First 5 Placer Commissioner Fact Sheet
to learn more about the composition categories, as well as the role and duties of Commission board members.
Download and submit the Commisioner Application